Thursday, August 16, 2012

Need some new dinner ideas?

I am kinda a recipe junkie,  probably why I had to do this {project}. I am always on the lookout for a delicious new dish to try. Recently, I made these three new recipes that I found to be quite delicious and worth adding to the dinner rotation.

These first two I found on Pinterest:

Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Zuchinni sausage boats
Mine were not as “skinny” as the recipe calls for since I decided to use Italian sausage instead of the chicken sausage the recipe calls for. Great way to use up all that crazy abundance zucchini from the garden!

Greek Tortilla Sandwich
Greek tortilla
I just don’t buy pre-made dressings so I made my own “greek vinagrette” with red wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, pinch of dried oregano, salt & pepper.
I was skeptical on how this would turn out since when I was making it I noticed the feta doesn’t melt like other cheeses, but the flavors were fantastic so if you don’t expect it to be all “melty” like a quesadilla, I think you will sure enjoy!

And this third one I saw watching a recent Barefoot Contessa episode, “Buon Appetito”.

Barefoot Contessa’s Weeknight Bolognese
BC Bolognese
For our meal, I used my great cooking dairy substitute (unsweetened coconut milk b/c it doesn’t impart the “coconut” flavor but still gives a richness to food) instead of the heavy cream, added the parmesan cheese after I took out a few portions for Reed and left out the last addition of wine at the end since I am still pregnant & for Reed’s sake since that last bit of alcohol wouldn’t “cook off”. It still has a cup of wine in it so I didn’t think it lost any flavor. I used a Tempranillo which is an earthy, dry red wine(I only use wine I would drink for cooking-if you wouldn’t drink it, why would you want your food to taste like it? Don’t confuse this with my using an expensive bottle of wine, it doesn’t have to be expensive to taste good). Pefect for a bolognese dish. Jeff has been enjoying the rest of the bottle…sniff sniff

Soon, Heather, soon. Really, I am not even a huge drinker, but I really miss the booze this pregnancy.  Jeff justs laughs how much I crave it this time. It’s not really funny! LOL!

***also I would cut back the crushed red pepper to 1/8 tsp if you are serving to kids who don’t like spicy.

No comments:

Post a Comment