Thursday, February 6, 2014

homemade peanut butter


Last week we were "snowed in" here in Georgia! Ironically,  it was just the kind of week I needed.  No chasing here & there, just playing with the boys, tending to housework and going to bed early {like 9 o'clock early!}. I am convinced that's why I was able to resist the illness that plagued Jeff hard the weekend earlier.

It was nice to be able to stay all warm & cozy inside all week waiting for the weather to warm up enough to melt the snow {that's what we have to do down here}. While Jeff shoveled our treacherous driveway {to give it a chance to melt and not ice over}I made some homemade peanut butter in my vitamix to give him the best tasting PB & J for lunch when he finished! Super easy, took maybe 5 min to grind smooth and creamy. The ingredients : peanuts of your choice. We like Trader Joe's 1/2 the salt roasted peanuts, but any kind you like will work.  It tastes soooo much better than any store bought PB.  And when it first gets blended, it's all warm and gooey. {Great to dip bananas in too}The best! Made ours with good quality grape jelly and sprouted whole grain bread.
I love using the weck jars. I love how they look, but they are also practical because you can freeze in them. If you make homemade peanut butter, its recommended to keep only a week or so in the fridge, so you can just make a big batch and freeze some for another time. It defrosts just great.

On a side note, if you don't already have one, I tell you it's really a great investment. I looked at them forever, hesitating because of the cost, but now I am so glad I took the plunge. It leave it on my counter because I use it almost everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment