Wednesday, February 5, 2014

delicious {& healthy} breakfast on a cold morning


The biggest meal I struggle with is breakfast. I just have never been much of a "first thing in the morning" breakfast eater. So, I am trying...it doesn't happen everyday, but on a cold, windy morning,  a warm bowl of homemade oatmeal was just perfect. The best part is it takes very little time so it's reasonable for a busy morning.

homemade oatmeal-makes one serving

1/2 cup old fashioned oats {not quick cooking}
1 cup of milk {dairy or not}
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon

Add all ingredients to pot and turn stove to med-low stirring occasionally since milk can boil over rather quickly.
I let it cook for about 7-9 min to my desired consistency. Remove when it looks a smidge runnier than you prefer as it will thicken a bit as it cools. To me the cinnamon and vanilla are enough flavor that I don't need any sweetener, but a bit of raw sugar wouldn't hurt ya if you like it a little sweeter... :)
This morning I topped mine with thawed frozen blueberries and toasted sliced almonds. It really kept me full so I wasn't tempted to snack.

What do you eat to start your day?

No comments:

Post a Comment