Tuesday, June 5, 2012

My lunches

We eat lunch at home most days so I sometimes buy specific ingredients to make, but usually it’s about using up leftovers from dinners or getting creative with the ingredients not used up from dinner menus.

This week is no different.

Yesterday I put together a margherita pizza on a pita
Lunch 007

it couldn’t be easier…
take a pita bread, add your favorite marinara sauce(we use Trader Joe’s Basil Marinara), tear fresh basil leaves (I love growing fresh herbs-you never have any waste and they always at the ready) and I tore the rest of the fresh mozzarella I had
You can also sprinkle a little salt & pepper to bring out all the flavors, too
Bake at 300 degrees until cheese is melted. After about 10-12 min, you have this…

Lunch 014

have the kids make their own pizzas too and they sell the mini pitas to make it fun for the kids to make different little pizzas, too!
I also had peppers, cucumbers and hummus as a side to get my veggies. Honest, I did!!!

Today, I had dinner leftovers-Tuna Melts but I often make this specifically for lunch because it’s so quick & easy.
Tuna salad is best if made a few hours ahead of time-here’s my “RECIPE”. I just kind of eyeball the ingredients and do it to taste and consistency.
4 small cans of white albacore tuna in water, drained
1/2-2/3 cup mayo or in our case I used Vegenaise
3 or 4 green onions, white & green parts
1 Tbsp. capers, rinsed and drained
1 Tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp. celery salt
salt and pepper to taste ( I start with less and let it flavor up a little in the fridge and add if necessary so it’s not too salty)
For the tuna melt:
toast english muffin (we use whole wheat)
slice tomato
slice cheese (my favorites are white sharp cheddar or swiss) for lunch today, all I had left was regular cheddar, but it was still yummy. :)
Layer tuna salad, tomato and top with cheese and broil on high about 4 min until cheese is all melted.

I go a little light on the cheese for me, but when I make it for other’s it’s dripping down the whole top, Jeff doesn’t like it when I am stingy with his cheese…
Lunch 019

and see, veggies and hummus again. When we had it for dinner, I made HUGE mixed greens side salad with tomatoes, cucumbers and homemade balsamic dressing. I try to get in as many veggies in us as I can. :)
I have enough tuna salad to probably enough tuna salad to have this the next couple days for lunch.
So, there you have it…my lunches this week. 

I hope either of these ideas give you something new to try.
So tell me, what do you eat for lunches?

No comments:

Post a Comment