Monday, August 15, 2011

Garden Bounty Dinner

Finally, our garden is giving us tomatoes. They really seemed to take a long, long time to ripen this year. Of course, they are all ripening at once instead of the succession time we had hope for so I am scrambling to try to think of recipes to use them up. I hope Jeff is in the mood for tomatoes like every day. 
We have some Early Girl red, Heirloom Cherokee purple and some yellow cherry tomatoes so I thought we would have a tomato tart and a salad for dinner, no shortage of veggies there!
Blog Pics 053
I usually just make a pie crust from scratch because it’s so easy (this recipe makes 2 so you can freeze the other one for later) and you can find a delicious recipe here or you can certainly just buy pie dough that you “roll out” so you can fit it in the tart shell vs the pre-shaped pie crust.
I used Martha Stewart’s recipe for a tomato tart. Since I had 3 different varieties, I used all 3.
Look at these sliced up…YUM!
Blog Pics 056
Fresh basil from the garden to sprinkle on top…
Blog Pics 059
And here is the finished tart! It was delicious…..
Blog Pics 068
To go with it, I made a “what do I have in the fridge” salad…
I had just bought boston lettuce (the couple plants I had in the garden are toast from the heat we had this summer), I had some leftover cannellini beans, red onion, cucumbers, yellow cherry tomatoes and capers with just a simple red wine vinagrette (red wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil and salt and pepper to taste). You can start with a 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/3 cup olive oil and then a pinch or two of salt and pepper and adjust accordingly. I am really starting to love challenging myself to be creative and use up what I have in the fridge/pantry.
I always just dress the amount of salad we are going to eat that night otherwise it gets all soggy as a leftover…
Blog Pics 070
Besides a tremendous amount of veggies, we also got some protein from the beans and the cheese in the tart. It was such a satisfying, healthy meal. I hope you try it. Smile

No comments:

Post a Comment