Tuesday, July 16, 2013

a gift of dinner {in a crate}

food basket copy

A friend I met last summer {through our kids’ sports class} just had her third little boy last week! I wanted to make life a little easier for her so I made them dinner yesterday and then went to Trader Joe's to get a few extra goodies to round out the meal {I added sea salt brownies & blood orange soda for something festive, yet non-alcoholic} and lined a crate {the kind you can find at any craft store} with some “linen-look” muslin fabric and tied it all up with some jute and a card with dinner instructions. She was touched. :)

I thought I would share this yummy recipe with you. Back in the day when I wasn’t much into cooking, I came up with this recipe, and just have embellished it over the years. It still never disappoints. :)

Sausage Sandwiches {serves 4-6}
1 lb pork sausage {mild or spicy}
8-10oz marinara {jar or homemade}
1 green pepper
1/2 white or yellow onion
3 Tbsp olive oil
salt & pepper
hoggie rolls or french rolls
provolone slices

heat oil in pan. Slice pepper & onion into strips and sautee with a pinch of salt & pepper on medium until softened and just starting to brown. Remove from pan and set aside. drain excess oil.

remove sausage from casings and add to pan.  break up into small pieces as it browns. drain excess grease.
add marinara and scrape up brown bits in the pan. simmer for about 10 min to develop flavor.

add sausage to rolls, top with peppers & onions and add a slice or two of cheese and melt under broiler.

make a nice salad and a delicious dinner is served!

1 comment: